Joe L. “Joey” Cope, J.D.
Executive Director and Associate Professor
A mediator for more than 15 years and a practicing attorney for 30 years, Joey leads the Duncum Center as executive director, casting vision for the organization while serving as the center’s lead trainer and consultant.
Joey is responsible for building and expanding the Duncum Center for Conflict Resolution and Duncum Center Solutions. He serves as an associate professor in Abilene Christian University’s graduate programs in conflict resolution and has served as an adjunct professor for the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at the Pepperdine University School of Law, the William H. Bowen Law School at the University of Arkansas – Little Rock, and the Southern Methodist University Center for Dispute Resolution and Conflict Management.
B.A., Telecommunications, Texas Tech University, 1977
J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law, 1986
Certificate, Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University School of Law, 2002
- Co-author, Texas Practice Guide: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Thomson Reuters/West Publishing
- Co-convener (2010), Texas Mediation Trainers Roundtable
- Chair (2011), Past Chair (2012), Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, State Bar of Texas
- Board Member (2013 to present) & Credentialed Mediator, Texas Mediator Credentialing Association
Lori Anne Shaw, M.S.
Director of Training & Development
Lori Anne Shaw has served at Duncum Center Solutions at Abilene Christian University (ACU) since 2007. Lori Anne is a mediator specializing in workplace disputes. Her present focus is on offering training and services through Duncum Center Solutions.
Lori Anne has served ACU’s Master of Arts in Conflict Management and Resolution program as the practicum coordinator, and as a course facilitator in Negotiation and Mediation, Managing Conflict in Schools, Managing Conflict in the Workplace, Communication and Conflict Theory, and Advanced Mediation courses. Currently, she serves as assistant director of the program’s Conflict Resolution Residency Session – a five day, practice-based negotiation and mediation training.
B.S., Psychology, Abilene Christian University, 2004
M.S., Psychology, Abilene Christian University, 2006
Certificate, Conflict Resolution, Abilene Christian University, 2006
- Pursuing Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership
- Certified facilitator for the Conflict Dynamics Profile®.
- Board Member (2015 to present), Texas Association of Mediators
- Officer (2013 to present), Texas Mediation Trainers Roundtable
- Research publication: Shaw, L. A. (2010), Divorce mediation outcome research: A meta-analysis. Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 27: 447–467. (PDF)
- Received $5,000 grant from Community Foundation of Abilene (2008) and $13,000 grant from United Way of Abilene (2009) to develop Conflict Management for Adults in Poverty Curriculum